Sunday, November 15, 2015

What I'm Reading . . .

"Books are uniquely portable magic."
~ Stephen King
A few weeks ago we were still getting temperatures in the 80's.  Fall finally decided to make an appearance . . . the temperatures have dropped and we've had a few very welcome rainy days.  With the change in the weather I find myself more often than not drawn towards reading.  I sit wrapped in my favorite soft quilt and let myself get lost in a book. 
Stephen King . . . maybe sort of a creepy place to get "lost", but with a couple exceptions . . . I have always enjoyed his books.  Something about his writing . . . once I get into the rhythm of one of his stories I tend to forget I am reading a horror story.  I had not read anything he had written in years until my son got me interested in him again.  
I finally got around to reading one of the books I bought this past summer written by a local author, Armen Bacon.  She was a keynote speaker at a meeting I attended back in August.  Her book My Name Is Armen turned out to be much better than I anticipated and very inspiring. 

 I have always enjoyed reading.  When I was younger I would stay up late . . . not being able to go to sleep until I finished the next chapter . . . and then the next chapter. These days I tend to fall asleep a little easier.  I know when I reread a paragraph a couple of times that it is time to turn out the light.  I tend to go through spurts where I read more often than others.  I am always buying books . . . and I nearly always have a book with me.  I cannot bring myself to read on a Kindle.  Maybe I haven't given it enough time, but I simply like the feel of a book in my hand, and I love my shelves filled with the books I have read.  I love books stores and libraries and opening boxes from Amazon filled with books that I have ordered.
It is getting late and I have a few more chapters to finish . . .   I am reading Can I Get An Amen? by Sarah Healy.  Not the type of book I usually read, but it is an easy read and sort of a tender, heartwarming story.  That may be what I needed after reading a couple of books by Stephen King. 

No comments:

Post a Comment