Sunday, January 8, 2012

still folding

I have loved this legend ever since reading about it. I am nearly done folding my 1000 cranes - I think I have about 65 to go . . . I will have to recount to be sure. And then . . . I will probably fold 1000 more. There is something very calming about folding them. It started out at sort of a challenge to fold that many - but now it is something I really enjoy.

I have loved this legend and the idea of folding 1000 cranes ever since I read about it. I am almost there and then I can start stringing them. I think I have about 65 more to go.
The crane in Japan is a mystical or holy creature that is said to live for a thousand years. Ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand cranes will be granted a wish - such a a long life or recovery from an injury or illness.
The 1000 cranes are traditionally given as a wedding gift from the father who is wishing a thousand years of happiness and prosperity for the couple getting married. They can also be gifted to a baby for a long life and good luck.
A Senbazuru is a group of 100 cranes held together by strings. Hanging a Senbazuru in ones home is said to be a powerful lucky and benevolent charm.
In western countries the has been extended to giving the cranes to cancer patients and to using them at funerals and on graves.

No comments:

Post a Comment