Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Few of my Favorite Things

I have always liked and collected small things. Sometime I think about taking this printer tray down - but I can't bring myself to do it. Some of these items I have had since I was a child - others are things the kids and I have picked up over the years. Some of my favorites - one of my mom's thimbles, a set of three porcelain cats I got when I had my tonsils out (when I was 5), a little doll that my Aunt Sue made out of a spool, and a "Kennedy for President" campaign button. It is a pain to dust - but I will keep it hung up - and keep collecting little treasures .
You can't help but feel a little better when you look at a sunflower. They are big, happy, cheerful flowers.
"Turn your face to the sun and the shadows follow behind you."
~ Maori Proverb
This small trunk means a great deal to me. It belonged to my grandma when she was young. For some reason I never can really picture my grandma as a young girl playing with this trunk - when she talked about her childhood - she did not always have good things to say. I wish now I had asked her what she used this trunk for - what she kept tucked inside. I have been thinking about her a great deal lately - and even though I had moved so far away from her - and did not see her often - I miss her dearly.
Since these Raggedy's are nearly the same age as I am - I will not refer to them as old. These were mine when I was a little girl - and I love to see them sitting on this basket - holding memories of my childhood.
If you carry your childhood with you, you never become older. ~Tom Stoppard

1 comment:

  1. Are you trying to make me cry? What great memories....I think of Grandma so much and wish I would of taken more time to spend with her.

    ReplyDelete