Thursday, November 1, 2012

a little more Halloween . . .

 
I do not know what it is about Halloween that I love and I am not sure when it started . . . but it is my favorite holiday.  I know part of it is the time of year.  I love the colors of Autumn and the change in the weather.  I love the silliness of the decorations . . . and just a little bit a spooky.
When the kids were young - we would go all out decorating the front yard.  They would help decorate.  One year we even had our black cat tethered in the front yard near some grave markers.  Every so often she would run through the cemetary setting . . . and give someone a scare.
We don't go to quite as much decorating anymore . . . but I love to put something out so the house is a little spooky for any kids that come to Trick or Treat. 
Richard did a great job and once it was dark . . . it was just the right amount of spooky.  I don't go for chainsaws and gore, but a creepy witch and some grinning Jack-O-Lanterns always set the mood.

The kids . . . along with the little ones had other things going on early in the evening.  Richard and I were left to hand out candy.  Some years we may get a lot of kids Trick or Treat, and there was a year when we had two.  So we never really know what to expect.  The candy was waiting, the weather was wonderful, and we had quite a few little kids come to the door. 
While we were handing out candy and watching "Ghostbusters II" . . . we tried a drink that a friend told me about yesterday.  I wasn't too sure . . . but it was delicious.  And I love how it looks!
Pumpkin Ale - the glass is rimmed with honey and a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon.  It sounded a little strange to me . . . but had to try it.
I didn't get a picture of Charlotte in her candy corn pajamas and beanie . . . or even a picture of her awake with her beanie on.  She had her first set of shots yesterday and was not a happy baby.  They didnt get to our house til a little later in the evening . . . this little pixie just needed some TLC on her first Halloween.
Owen . . . CUTE!  He actually did not like the lion head part of his costume and cried when Ashley tried to put it on him.  A bottle always help when a young lion is cranky.
And then there was the Garden Gnome . . . but according to Lily she was a "Garden Fairy Protector". 
 
These were taken earlier in the day at school.  I love this costume.  She had a party in preschool . . . and Uncle "Jabub" came with me to pick her up from school.  She loved that.  I think this one is going to like Halloween.
Just a couple more Halloween pics before we say good-bye to October.  Lily pretending to be frightened by a glittery spider . . . (glittery spiders are rarely really scary)
I love this picture . . . makes me think of when they were small.  The only thing missing . . . Jake.
I did not want to turn my lights out until Lily had a chance to get to the house, but was worried kids would keep coming to the door.  It was after 8:30, but we have gotten kids even after 9:00.  This was Luke's solution . . . I guess this is a sign that it was good Halloween. 
 
"There is a child in every one of us who is still a trick-or-treater looking for a brightly-lit front porch."
 ~Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment