Thursday, May 16, 2013

inspiration . . . and sharks

When making my Shabby Charlotte dolls I tend to use what I have on hand, but I am always on the lookout for bits of this and that . . . ribbons, buttons, charms, etc.  Richard even does this now - if he finds something on the ground that he thinks I may be able to use on a doll he brings it home to me.  I found some the above ribbon in the dollar bin at Michael's.  I especially like the red stitched one . . . it reminds me of baseball stitching.  I've been wanting to make a baseball doll - that ribbon will be perfect.
I found this ribbon on clearance . . . 24 little rolls of wonderful colors and designs.  I especially like the one that reads . . . love you to pieces.
I find little things like this - especially the colors, give me so many ideas. 
I believe I have mentioned that I work at an elementary school . . . I walked into a classroom that we use for our after school program and saw these wonderful sharks again.  I have seen them before - but keep forgetting to go snap some photos.  Today I had my camera with me . . . so had to post some pics of them.  I think they are great!  
Lou Lou Shark . . .
 Children's art is many things . . . it is a display of their imagination, a teaching tool, a way to understand a child's mind.  Children's art can connect them to others or enhance their knowledge of a book.  To a child - art is fun . . . it can give them a way to let out their feelings and ideas, make decisions,  and express their choices. 
Picasso wrote, "Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing sometimes what you find in the clearance bin! Great selection of ribbons. What a beautiful color palette to work with.

    It always amazes me when I see the art that our students have created. There is so much right and wrong in school but in art there are no mistakes, just opportunities to embellish more. One of the courses that I had in my brief college days was in Art Education for Children. We were told never to ask a child "what is it?" but rather "tell me about it" - gives you a peek into their imagination.

    ReplyDelete