Friday, May 17, 2013

Pom Poms

I decided to try my hand at making some pom poms - after seeing the pom pom magnets that Jessica made at scrumdillydilly.  My first poms turned out sort of scraggly . . . I still like them though.
So I gave it a few more tries.  You can buy an actual pom pom maker, but I just wrapped the yarn around two or three fingers.  I remember making these with my Mom when I was little.  She would always use the piece of cardboard that ribbon or bias tape came wrapped around . . . it seemed to be the perfect size.
 
I could probably trim them some more. . . and trim them a little smaller so they look as nice as nice as the ones that Jessica made.  I really like her magnet idea - so will probably make some smaller ones. 
They really are simple and fun to make . . . . I will have to get into my yarn and see what colors I have to play with and come up with something fun to do with them.  I am thinking I also need to make some small ones - (probably with some finer yarn) to use on of my dolls.  
I remember a rug sort of thing that my mom had that was made of very small pom poms.  She always had it on top of her cedar chest . . . it is very pretty.  I found out only a few years ago that she made it while she was dating my dad and that he would come over to her house and help her with it.  I have to laugh thinking about my dad making pom poms - it doesn't really fit with the man that I knew . . . but he was 21 and in love with my mom . . .
It's Friday!  Here's to a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment