Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Enjoying the Season

With all of the projects I did with my kids while they were growing up - we never did gingerbread houses. Kasey had never made one either. So better late than never - and doing this with adult children is way easier than what I can imagine it would be with small kids. I was going to bake the gingerbread so they could design their own houses - but time was a factor this week - so we went with the kits and I went out a picked up other candies and goodies for them to decorate.
Here they are getting started. I probably went a little overboard on the candy and goodies - but I think they used a little of everything.
It was Richard's idea to do this - and a good idea it turned out to be. Christmas can't help but change a little as children grow up. No more school programs to attend or handmade ornaments carried home from school. So a project like this reminds me of all those special times when they were young children - and also reminds me that those times do not have to end.
I bought Kasey some special lawn torches for her house. I love this picture of them lit. Next time everyone in the gingerbread neighborhood gets torches.
Here are all three houses finished. Luke has some better close up pictures on his camera - I will have to post some of them. Unfortunately Jennifer and Josh could not be here and Sarah was out of town - or our gingerbread neighborhood would have been a little bigger - maybe next year.

"Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas." ~ Peg Bracken

1 comment:

  1. Totally cool...I love this and are
    you going to eat them?? Were they a kit.

    ReplyDelete