Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Time

Thanks to Luke and Jacob - it looks like Christmas at our house. Saturday they put all the lights up outside - Jake even went to the store for replacement lights, and they pulled out all the indoor stuff out for me. I always like to get my decorating done before I go back to work after Thanksgiving. By Sunday night the house was clean and decorated for Christmas.
Just a few of my holiday buddies that I have gotten through the years. I made these elves quite a few years ago - I like unpacking them each year - especially this one with the glasses.
I still have a few things to do - like put ornaments on this tree. I didn't go too overboard with everything this year. I am trying for a stress free holiday - not worrying about if everything gets done - and trying not to do too much. I enjoy going overboard for the holidays - but this year something is telling me just to relax. Having Luke and Jacob help so much really made a difference and set the whole tone for me. I was even able to just let them put all the lights up and not let it bother me if something wasn't exactly perfect (Yes - I am a control freak when it comes to things like that, but I have gotten so much better. There was one window that was bothering me - but Jacob is enough like me, that it must have bothered him too - or he realized that it would really get to me - so he fixed it.
Christmas can be a difficult holiday for me. Mostly because I miss my family - but also for other reasons - There is a little too much build up for me. I like to decorate, bake, and watch "It's a Wonderful Life" over and over - but sometimes it all sort of gets to me. I have learned to relax though and understanding why it gets to me has really helped me enjoy the season more. And it has really helped to relax and not overdo. It helped even more this year to have Luke and Jake help me. It really made me happy to look out the window and see them stringing up lights. Christmas was so much fun when they were young - now that they are grown it is just a different kind of fun with them.
"He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree." ~Roy L. Smith

1 comment:

  1. You know what else is so nice about decorating is the memories behind what you put out, like the elf you sent me, the wood snowman....I am a control freak too when it somes to decorating. When the tree is dcorated, I want to see it.....you have wonderful boys :)

    ReplyDelete