Sunday, January 20, 2013

"Grandma Bed"

I decided to use my "grandma" quilts and afghans rather than just have them stashed away in a closet.  For some time I had this quilt on a quilt shelf that hung in my house.  I was concerned that it was getting dirty so decided to store it away.  I decided it really needed to me enjoyed - rather than be stuck away where I never see it.  This quilt was made by my grandma years ago.  It was on my bed when I was very young.
It really is beautiful - and all hand quilted.  I think of her hands working when I look at it.
I have another quilt that she made later - that I now have on the bottom of my bed.  I will have to post a picture of that one sometime.  I believe it is called a cathedral window quilt and each piece is a different fabric.
The pillow cases were embroidered by my mom.  They also were on my bed when I was little.  I remember my room had pink wallpaper with kittens in it. 
The darker wool quilt was made by Richard's grandma and the granny square afghan was crocheted by my mom.  I can remember laying underneath it when I was young.  I loved to use it in the winter when it was cold - because it was really heavy.  I used to pile the blankets during those cold Iowa winters to the point that I could hardly move underneath them.
I will have to see what else I have to add to my "grandma" bed . . . maybe add something that I have made.   Nothing spectacular - but a whole lot of love and memories in this handwork.  It is much more fun to curl up here and read than it was with the store bought comforter that I had on the bed before.  Maybe it's my age . . . but I feel the need to enjoy and use the things that I think are beautiful and mean something to me.  I also find myself telling the kids who made what and the stories behind different items that have been in my family for years.  I like to think that it isn't because I am getting older (although - I am) - but also because they are starting lives of their own and getting to the age where it means something to them too.  I remember sleeping under a quilt that my grandma had made (it was a sun bonnet baby quilt).  My grandma used to get it out when I spent the night with her.  I hope Lily and Charlotte will enjoy sleeping under the "grandma" quilts one day. 
Missing my grandma today . . . .

2 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to have such beautiful handmade memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . and I just can't see wrapping them up and hiding them away. It makes be feel closer to the people I loved who made them by using them. :)

      Delete