Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saturday Seven #3 - Favorite Summertime Activities

Saturday Seven - I joined up for the 52 week challenge at planettreasure
 
Summertime . . . my favorite time of year and as I am thinking about this list I can't help but wish it was 95 degrees instead of 45 degrees.  But I was complaining about the cold last week while eating lunch . . . I opened up my fortune cookie and it read . . . "The weather is wonderful"  I took that as a sign to stop complaining and just enjoy where I am at . . . even if it is 45 degrees.  Anyway - summer will be here eventually and some of my favorite summertime activities . . .
 
1.  Laying in the sun - I am one of those people that love to be in the sun . . . it can be 105 and I can lay out in the heat.  (Unfortunately I was diagnosed with melanoma not too long ago - so my sun worshipping days are over - and I advise everyone to be sensible when out in the sun.)  I still lay by the pool - but slathered in sunscreen, under an umbrella, wearing a big hat to shade my face . . .    
2.  Playing tennis - I wish I had taken up this sport when I was younger.  My husband is an excellent player and a pretty good coach - so he has me hitting the ball pretty good these days.  Great exercise!
3.  Going for a bike ride - I ride my bike so many places when the weather is warm.  I have this great basket - so I try to ride to the grocery store, when we go hit tennis balls, and even to work.  Although taking Lily out for a ride to the park is the most fun.
 

4.  Pool time - especially watching Lily and Uncle Jake.  Since she was a baby - these two have always had fun in the pool.  Each summer she starts out hesitant and afraid of the water . . . it doesn't take long before Jake gains her trust and she is having a great time.
5.  Visiting Iowa - I don't work during the summer, so I always use that time to go visit my family and friends in Iowa.  At this point I have lived away from Iowa longer than I live in Iowa . . . but it will always be home to me.  I grew up in a wonderful small town - I love going back there each year. 
Unfortunately I don't know if I will get back there this summer.  My mother recently moved to where my brother lives and I will go visit them this summer in another state.  (I am thinking taking Mom to Iowa for a visit is an excellent idea.)
6.  Gardening (and working in the yard) - My garden is small . . . a few raised beds - but I love being out there when it is warm and sunny.  There is nothing like the taste of home grown vegetables in the summer.  Our temperatures get quite high during the summer - so we usually try to get the yard work done early in the day . . . which then leads to # 7 on my list.
7.  A cold beer . . .
I thought I was missing summer when I started this post . . . now I really am.  Fortunately our summer weather comes early and it is a long season.  Until then - I will control my wimpy attitude about the colder temperatures - I have plenty to do indoors these days.
Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. With a fresh dusting of snow on the ground, I'm kinda missing it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am good with winter until after the holidays . . . then I'm ready for warmer weather.

      Delete