Monday, July 29, 2013

dishes and dolls . . .

My mom has given me quite a few dishes over the past few years.  These are some that I brought home this time after visiting her. 
I have quite a few pieces of these.  I like white dishes - but these even more so because they remind me of her.
I'm usually not a huge fan of colored glass, but I do like certain colors - one of them being gold.  I believe this bottle used to sit on the window sill in my bedroom when I was quite young.  It will look great with my Halloween decorations . . .
This dish belonged to a wonderful neighbor we had when I was young - her name was Mabel.  I love having something that belonged to her . . . she was the sweetest lady and meant the world to my mom.  I remember having cookies at her house and being outside when she was hanging up her laundry.  I remember her always smiling.  Her husband's name was Joe and he always gave us silver dollars and fifty-cent pieces.

I have mentioned before that my mom would take old dolls and make new clothes for them.  I thought it would me nice to keep this for Charlotte when she is a little older.
I love the little details . . . not just the lace socks, but also the little beads that she sewed onto her slippers.
I think Mom said that Dad bought this doll for her.  I could be remembering that wrong.  I guess I will have to check with her.  She seems to be made out of an embroidered pillow case.  I like her scarf and pearl pin. 

Finally a little clothes pin Indian doll . . . just thought she was cute.  I am not really sure what I am going to do with all of this stuff, but love the memories and sentiment that goes along with old stuff.  More pictures coming . . . my suitcases were full. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Clare, I know that pattern. Homer Laughlin's Bluebirds. Very collectible and so sweet a pattern. Hold on to it! And I think that first one is a Holly Hobbie doll. What wonderful treasures. All of them!

    ReplyDelete