Monday, July 29, 2013

Gramma's Quilt

This sun bonnet baby quilt was made by my grandma.  According to my mom she made it when my mom was a baby, which would make the quilt over 80 years old.  As a little girl my grandma lived in the apartment upstairs in the house that we lived in.  I spent the night with her quite often and she would get this quilt out for me to sleep under.  I remember thinking it was so special when she brought it out. 
Some of the embroidery has worn out, there are a couple of stains, and it is patched on the back side - but for the most part it is still in pretty good shape considering how old it is.  When I think about it - the quilt was quite old when I slept under it.  I have not looked at this quilt in years . . . I forgot about all the beautiful detail in it.
Each little bonnet is embroidered differently.  I am sure the dresses are made out of scraps from other sewing projects. 


This is one of my favorites.  I like the colors in her dress and the little star on her bonnet.  I don't remember my grandma embroidering very often - she crocheted and knitted mostly.  She did teach me how to embroidery though.  She was always so patient when she taught me how to do things. 

I am not really sure what I will do with it.  I may have Richard make a quilt rack to display it or maybe tuck it away safely somewhere to bring out when my granddaughters spend the night with me.  I hope they will have all sort so wonderful memories like the ones I have a of my grandma.
This is another quilt she made.  I was older when she made this one.  It is a cathedral window design - and she was very quick to tell you that each window was a different fabric.  I love all the colors and I cherish the memories I have of Gramma.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure a lot of love went into those quilts. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete