Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mom's Cookbooks

I have started sorting through the things that my mom gave me.  Having her give me some of this stuff is sort of bittersweet . . . like her cookbooks.  She had so many, but I just picked out a few that I really wanted, but that means she will not be baking and cooking like she used to . . . and I will miss that.  This 1949 cookbook belonged to my Gramma.  I am wondering if there is a recipe for her dumplings in there . . . and liver and onions come to mind.  I can't say I liked it when she cooked that.  :)
This white Tasty Treats cookbook was the one I remember my mom using the most . . . from the time I was young until recently.  I know there are some great cookie recipes in that one.  Unfortunately, my oven is broken at the moment - so even though I am off work and have time to bake this week . . . Richard does not have time to fix the oven, so the cookies will have to wait a little while.
Mom always stuck cards in her cookbooks.  If she was baking and received a card in the mail - she would stick the card in the page she was using.  Her recipe books are full of cards from family and friends.  I noticed this page has a recipe for Rhubarb Pie - my favorite.  I made this pie two years ago when I was back in Iowa.  I usually missed rhubarb season - but my Aunt Marvel always had some that she had frozen.  I have looked into growing rhubarb out here.  It is possible, but you have to start it from seed and it does not come back every year like it does at home.  I would love a piece of rhubarb pie right now.
This was my mom's first cookbook.  It is actually in a binder and she cut out and glued magazine photos on the pages.  She was always doing things like that.  I am hoping to find some good recipes in this book to try.

She also gave me these mini cookie/canapé cutters . . .
This set is so small.  The little round tin measures no more than a couple of inches.  How fun it would be do decorate some pastries with these.  I am going to have to make some time to bake this winter.

1 comment:

  1. Old cookbooks are the best. The pages may be timeworn but the recipes are tried and true.

    ReplyDelete